注册
查看: 1098|回复: 1

丰田承认换踏板不一定能全部解决加速问题

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-2-24 15:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
By LARRY MARGASAK and KEN THOMAS" f1 T7 e( G3 ~+ W8 r' B
Washington (AP) -- The president of Toyota's U.S.
5 A5 d& g# \, _operations acknowledged to skeptical lawmakers on Tuesday that
# C6 W( o+ V' v% p% c" }the company's recalls of millions of its cars may "not totally"
- R, f% u. H* }9 qsolve the problem of sudden and dangerous acceleration.
" `% o6 A+ r8 o  g: h6 ^9 }) t0 G# ~% N. G"We are vigilant and we continue to look for potential& Q* S' F& X4 K8 ?/ d3 V6 W
causes," Toyota's James Lentz told a congressional panel.
3 A$ Q: [0 l) I0 O4 V% K# ^5 F/ MHowever, he repeated his company's position that unexpected% Q8 H0 k( y) s
acceleration in some of the company's most popular cars and: r, e3 c) J7 Q! E1 ^
trucks was caused by one of two problems -- misplaced floor: A+ h, k) }7 Y! y) C  O/ o! |
mats and sticking accelerator pedals.; I9 n; p$ t; z: e+ i6 R
He insisted electronic systems connected to the gas pedal
& `3 u7 I/ d# M* N+ Dand fuel line did not contribute to the problem, drawing sharp
/ w$ ^7 }- A, t/ d& o  Qcriticism from lawmakers who said such a possibility should be2 T- z8 ~9 m9 [3 v! z
further explored -- and from a tearful woman driver who could# L% q5 f; m6 b1 k6 G$ J6 H& w
not stop her runaway Lexus.
# _: s. V6 R( B7 e( K"Shame on you, Toyota," Rhonda Smith, of Sevierville,% n+ |# H7 b5 B( i  `
Tenn., said at a congressional hearing. Then she added a second
7 T3 h8 l6 j& Y9 ^1 _6 f"shame on you" directed at federal highway safety regulators.
' P+ ]- `, I2 Y( V' a1 c8 n4 lTexas Republican Rep. Joe Barton cautioned his colleagues- I) ]; c, N" A2 f, [
early in the hearing against conducting a "witch hunt" and said
4 p! A9 E/ c1 c+ B2 w3 J, n"We don't want to just assume automatically that Toyota has
2 z$ o9 I4 g; L, Zdone something wrong and has tried to cover it up." But midway
7 K! e; L$ _1 }$ y$ L1 |6 L3 Ethrough Lentz's testimony, Barton said of Toyota's( {4 `  Q& O! N& f
investigation of the problems: "In my opinion, it's a sham."! ^& g( F, W* o" y# H0 Y' |; g
Lentz said the company had not completely ruled out an. S- u( z) ?6 C* t3 d, H' {
electronics malfunction and was still investigating causes of
. \. h, x1 L# ]1 w. `8 sthe sudden acceleration. Still, "We have not found a9 l1 H6 h0 z6 W2 R
malfunction" in the electronics of any of the cars at issue, he
; {0 |; D' e3 k8 O" m4 E# xsaid.3 v5 t* C3 J3 \1 `
As to Smith's harrowing story, "I'm embarrassed for what3 q6 C; V% b/ e& }
happened," Lentz said. "I want her and her husband to feel safe0 D6 A" E$ t* i" f' K) B2 ^( H
about driving our products," Lentz said.0 ^) `& l; f( a2 t' J; G
Three congressional panels are investigating Toyota's, a% G( O; }5 a. T5 E
problems, which affect a huge number of Americans. Toyota has
" l; c* e' h* |; ~. mrecalled some 8.5 million vehicles worldwide -- more than 69 Y9 t8 U7 h- O+ ?& G' K
million in the United States -- since last fall because of
, E5 D) s6 j5 M$ d$ L" Wunintended acceleration problems in multiple models and braking$ _/ h& F+ t+ O3 V# j* O
issues in the Prius hybrid. It is also investigating steering
. _, ^, G* O/ N5 z4 P2 q" N0 Dconcerns in Corollas. People with Toyotas have complained of
/ \7 E3 g! H$ R+ ?, j; o% t$ |3 {5 ltheir vehicles speeding out of control despite efforts to slow2 o) Q" y! d- \& z
down, sometimes resulting in deadly crashes. The government has% O+ M* c! O: `6 M4 C; \2 A  A/ |$ a" U
received complaints of 34 deaths linked to sudden acceleration3 i/ T$ {. L, ]! K: X3 n$ H
of Toyota vehicles since 2000.
' s3 B0 D% k% x$ t" BLentz, who choked up while discussing the death of his own
% D+ Z% J: g# @/ p1 `) {9 |$ Sbrother more than 20 years ago in a car accident, said he9 \  I- w( n/ R( B
understood the pain.
- E7 C# v: F, A6 w3 Y"I know what those families go through," he said.7 A  r8 @9 M2 `% ]: ^
Lentz has said in the past that he was confident Toyota's
3 D" P7 N) Q4 C* Ffixes on the recalled vehicles would correct the problems.0 S0 `  v: y/ Z6 B! ^* a
But when pressed by Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman
+ N; G9 P- Q% v0 P2 q& `. RHenry Waxman, D-Calif., on whether the two recalls Toyota put7 o+ n2 r2 u) `* m5 @# P+ h
in place to deal with the issue would completely solve it,2 p( T$ b1 e' p9 `! J# Z
Lentz replied: "Not totally."; ~% Q1 C5 e8 @5 G! ~/ P
Still, he said chances of unintended accelerations were" c2 m- F6 y: A8 Z$ Q
"very, very slim" once the recall was complete. Lentz also said! f* e$ o! U7 K
Toyota was putting in new brakes that can override the gas% ?4 W1 D2 y6 R' d1 J) ~! T6 L* v* ?8 R
pedal on almost all of its new vehicles and a majority of its4 z( z) A0 ^% R% X/ B: F
vehicles already on the road.
" T# ?* x/ G$ ZMeanwhile, Toyota president Akio Toyoda, who will testify
$ O4 D& `$ }+ v- G/ c0 qbefore a separate panel on Wednesday, said he took "full
; z, f& a5 `8 R$ Z' M' yresponsibility" for the uncertainty felt by Toyota owners and6 b3 L0 X, l( n1 M* j' G
offered his condolences to a San Diego, Calif., family who were
1 u- ~5 Q1 ^4 t. v6 l6 ?6 U2 y1 {+ tkilled in late August, reigniting interest in the problems.
3 d1 `8 q5 l) a4 c! }"I will do everything in my power to ensure that such a
  }! {/ r4 i" z% a6 q5 otragedy never happens again," Toyoda said in prepared testimony
0 L4 w. O$ m5 {% J; Y8 H3 dfor Wednesday's hearing to the House Government Oversight
1 s6 x) b2 [6 @# OCommittee. "My name is on every car. You have my personal
& V3 E5 S, l8 j0 W) n& t) dcommitment that Toyota will work vigorously and unceasingly to
1 I2 P  T8 _6 I9 P0 Z" Jrestore the trust of our customers."5 z: L. a% W; ]8 t
Lawmakers heard a brief, but riveting, deion from
/ U: L8 U& I* m( r! X' zSmith, the Tennessee woman whose Toyota-made Lexus suddenly1 D4 I* D7 m" B0 G/ t  l4 T
zoomed to 100 miles per hour as she tried to get it to stop --3 M0 ]0 Q* Q. M0 ^8 e: i
shifting to neutral, trying to throw the car into reverse and( c# M5 U1 @9 q% _) r8 G
hitting the emergency brake. Finally, her car slowed enough
) v& V" ?; [$ y7 Dthat she was able to pull it off the road onto the median and
: S3 U0 _& A, q( ?0 tturn off the engine.
4 F$ P! H- h! ^. f& d! fFighting back tears, she described her nightmare ride of7 ~7 r3 R! U- R  g! C9 h
October 2006, calling it "a near death experience."  p7 c, Z+ p6 _! u5 X
"After six miles, God intervened" and slowed the car, she' l2 D$ d  \8 R5 ]- |+ q. q
said. She added that it took a long time for Toyota to respond0 n& ]2 g1 ~; U9 v+ V
to her complaints.4 S2 P4 \  z& T
In an often contentious full day of testimony, lawmakers
& V7 @/ k* G% P& t- Z- yreturned again and again to the question of whether electronic
7 [) Z9 _5 Z( X8 A( S! ~( @2 umalfunctions may have contributed to the speeding cars.
1 ~/ O6 M7 J: a5 _% s/ \"We are confident that no problems exist with the electric
7 L/ _$ b0 V( l$ ~0 U" {' Nthrottle control system in our vehicles," Lentz said. He cited2 a8 x  b0 X( m% ~3 e; V
"fail-safe mechanisms" in the cars that were designed to shut$ y- R# r% S, q8 q0 W! \$ i. k
off or reduce engine power "in the event of a system failure."
: s5 C$ l7 o, x$ @7 [Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told the panel in% R: _6 k/ f% L' `
prepared testimony that possible electronics problems were
8 U8 }3 [$ o. s' Y% ?7 ]being looked into by his agency. He said the company's recalls
9 D. W' i, r' w4 qwere important steps but "we don't maintain that they answer4 x7 B5 z& h* n! C. P
every question."% S4 z3 K% p9 g- [" L5 t' X
Toyota hired a consulting firm to analyze whether
, K4 ]4 z4 A5 s: o9 _! p$ Relectronic problems could cause unintended acceleration. The- L, r* S( Q3 d7 G( ~3 e2 ^
firm, Exponent Inc., found no link between the two. But# \: H9 l5 u7 j
committee investigators said the testing studied only a small
+ L2 P) I( S0 y8 unumber of vehicles
0 Z/ k& R5 k. p, a0 STracking down an electrical problem can be far more6 e+ U3 i. @, }5 b
difficult, expensive and time-consuming than finding a
1 D; ~3 i" E" Y: Z  Ymechanical problem. Electrical problems can have more than one
3 D; s! _* ~" u% n8 ]+ M4 Msource, and they can come from inside or outside the car.
! Z% q5 M  E5 MMechanical problems often leave clues such as physical damage,. e- ?3 D1 T/ T8 V2 c
where electronic troubles can be hidden in software or leave no
7 b0 P  w0 @3 p! x7 a, f) ^; Ctrace at all.5 ^& o) W2 `$ A- V2 x' y5 m1 H! }
House investigators who reviewed Toyota's customer call& S, d! x( l( R+ B$ m( w+ Q
database found that 70 percent of the complaints of sudden
) n" F/ e* a! h& macceleration were for vehicles that are not subject to the
3 C2 ~7 o* K( b1 A' Xrecalls over floor mats or sticky pedals.4 G" x1 }$ W1 O
Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the subcommittee,8 Q+ h, q; P0 }, @
said Toyota "misled the American public by saying that they and
+ ~( t. P( X! B' Gother independent sources had thoroughly analyzed the
; R4 ~7 F$ R( y/ k. oelectronics systems and eliminated electronics as a possible$ l% e; M$ [/ X/ g7 j6 _: a2 ]  z
cause of sudden unintended acceleration when, in fact, the only
+ ~* [4 b5 C3 R' {5 msuch review was a flawed study conducted by a company retained8 W! t: g! J& Y* e7 h' ~
by Toyota's lawyers."% q3 g, t# h" q2 B2 a- T$ W' ^
Lentz apologized anew for the company's slow handling of
; K" i# Z+ D$ ~problems. "We have not lived up to the high standards our) X2 h2 m8 R7 Z) ^( }
customers and the public have come to expect from Toyota," he
9 b- u- k! I, G! ^  asaid.# H2 n6 L, h0 S% O6 o1 D3 M7 V
"Put simply, it has taken us too long to come to grips with
( H. _" O9 G7 l# J0 a: u: M% D6 `! ea rare but serious set of safety issues, despite all of our3 L! ?, Q) `9 w/ ^$ f  A: k. u
good faith efforts," said Lentz, president and chief operating. I$ Z! R7 @" `. E5 M
officer of Toyota Motor Sales USA. Inc., R' v* X: N, w# }2 F
Separately, among hundreds of Toyota dealers lobbying
, I2 b# c+ l) r- ^- N# K! E: Nmembers of Congress Tuesday, there seemed to be widespread
: `/ `$ v/ a+ Z3 grancor toward a federal government they view as picking on the
' W( a) Y, \7 |  [automaker, at least in part because of the government's# ?  _2 ~' E3 F* U7 W6 G0 D
investment of billions of dollars in General Motors and/ Y' v2 C% @2 ]+ E( x5 Q! U$ B
Chrysler.# g* S0 g, _; R: X7 s; }# R1 s
"That's hard for me as a citizen to understand why my tax
7 U0 o1 M- L1 w' |8 g7 r* q* @2 [dollars are going in that direction," Paul Atkinson, a
- @$ j, y% N& H" p7 d# O& eHouston-area Toyota dealer, said at a news conference that also3 ~' w. N& b3 a, F9 f  Z
served as a pep rally for the visiting dealers. "To compete9 U+ ~2 d$ M2 r) m) Z# ~
with the government as an individual entrepreneur is pretty/ @- i$ F( W4 d# T# o
tough."# N- V- P# V. u* R9 _7 e5 y
---
# o' }; ]& @2 E- y! WAssociated Press writers Alan Fram, Stephen Manning and Tom2 j- P  T9 x" u3 h
Raum in Washington and Tom Krisher in Detroit contributed to
. F. }8 G8 H! f( F4 `1 uthis story.( u5 `& Y; p# U# j# y8 t
5 T8 b. w$ m# J; ?: _
-0- Feb/23/2010 21:04 GMT
鲜花(7) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2010-2-27 22:40 | 显示全部楼层
本来踏板就不是什问题的关键,recall也只不过是对大众的心理治疗罢了
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-10-2 19:48 , Processed in 0.099150 second(s), 11 queries , Gzip On, APC On.