查看: 1099|回复: 1

丰田承认换踏板不一定能全部解决加速问题

[复制链接]
鲜花(1) 鸡蛋(0)
发表于 2010-2-24 15:48 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
老杨团队,追求完美;客户至上,服务到位!
By LARRY MARGASAK and KEN THOMAS2 J. W7 D) g% W' s* f
Washington (AP) -- The president of Toyota's U.S.! b' K2 x' j5 F
operations acknowledged to skeptical lawmakers on Tuesday that/ N" d7 {, a) g: q
the company's recalls of millions of its cars may "not totally"9 I4 l' c2 U9 [8 J* y$ @. c
solve the problem of sudden and dangerous acceleration.; |3 r# X4 j7 N. ?0 Z! b! I0 {. l
"We are vigilant and we continue to look for potential5 @& L- v& t* p) I
causes," Toyota's James Lentz told a congressional panel.
% d/ a+ B; Z/ p5 s2 ?  I0 zHowever, he repeated his company's position that unexpected4 S2 v0 ~/ {8 B8 v
acceleration in some of the company's most popular cars and/ ~; w! Q. R% p4 q
trucks was caused by one of two problems -- misplaced floor
" \& @2 P8 c# |+ d' X0 I# Nmats and sticking accelerator pedals.# O2 y  O+ _5 v2 ]: c" h. @
He insisted electronic systems connected to the gas pedal
. G$ J" U7 c* }4 H% {and fuel line did not contribute to the problem, drawing sharp3 E6 a" s* Z% N( o
criticism from lawmakers who said such a possibility should be; i2 x7 w* k/ t8 k' v) a5 v$ F  k) R
further explored -- and from a tearful woman driver who could
+ w" Q0 [4 @) ]: Y8 \not stop her runaway Lexus.
$ r) p+ }7 S5 ~* F6 a8 R$ k- v# a"Shame on you, Toyota," Rhonda Smith, of Sevierville,, p1 X# B$ y/ _3 P' L  }9 a
Tenn., said at a congressional hearing. Then she added a second% [  d4 \5 F3 j! J' F& ]
"shame on you" directed at federal highway safety regulators.
1 V5 p. k. J4 b$ OTexas Republican Rep. Joe Barton cautioned his colleagues. n3 i; i& m1 Q; C# o  @
early in the hearing against conducting a "witch hunt" and said$ T5 x# Q7 t4 w. M" ^
"We don't want to just assume automatically that Toyota has
4 x, n( a' F, B5 Y) x  Bdone something wrong and has tried to cover it up." But midway
9 s8 F; ~- a0 |* r# ?* ~/ {0 {) `  Hthrough Lentz's testimony, Barton said of Toyota's
. k# E6 P( l5 Z' winvestigation of the problems: "In my opinion, it's a sham."1 I) o2 Y7 `+ _% \" {  R
Lentz said the company had not completely ruled out an
4 W0 G3 `+ X% m3 [' u2 |electronics malfunction and was still investigating causes of9 P7 N" Y7 C9 J& j/ v9 @& U5 R
the sudden acceleration. Still, "We have not found a2 \% E/ k" C8 R7 E3 v" [+ C9 I
malfunction" in the electronics of any of the cars at issue, he
; }) _8 m, _4 r2 K& wsaid.
9 M6 L7 d5 O7 N  P; V! {5 qAs to Smith's harrowing story, "I'm embarrassed for what- n( q  e7 F* l6 b+ T
happened," Lentz said. "I want her and her husband to feel safe
! i; S) s' j. G3 ^, ^about driving our products," Lentz said.
7 d6 h7 [9 J0 ]1 N9 _1 m0 Q- o2 DThree congressional panels are investigating Toyota's% X. O. i, e  V) _7 q
problems, which affect a huge number of Americans. Toyota has% K: H5 N! ~, w0 e3 Z6 r5 i! f9 K
recalled some 8.5 million vehicles worldwide -- more than 6% w0 Z  U& Z9 h8 `7 k! w& ^- C
million in the United States -- since last fall because of' n' x! N) c0 X# |0 ?
unintended acceleration problems in multiple models and braking
! p8 f8 Z5 W9 x( K& B5 A, t/ Bissues in the Prius hybrid. It is also investigating steering: z/ z# Q9 {9 ]" W2 l8 N* x6 g
concerns in Corollas. People with Toyotas have complained of
7 e1 a, P. }! v3 {& }( \. e  \; Rtheir vehicles speeding out of control despite efforts to slow4 E' H  q% n$ Q4 K2 ^5 P* C
down, sometimes resulting in deadly crashes. The government has' u9 Q$ @3 n2 b( |
received complaints of 34 deaths linked to sudden acceleration
5 l& o5 j) M9 O( Q/ O) ]of Toyota vehicles since 2000.* b, |7 |3 f% D0 i  d' I
Lentz, who choked up while discussing the death of his own
7 N# N0 e3 I9 S3 `! s! A* [brother more than 20 years ago in a car accident, said he8 b/ A) W" @+ P2 _. W! i8 e
understood the pain.& F8 r" S; W/ N$ |0 P/ M# W/ a2 Z
"I know what those families go through," he said.3 ]3 E' c: O1 n5 u, l$ f5 Z, Q
Lentz has said in the past that he was confident Toyota's
- W/ @5 B' B3 {' ffixes on the recalled vehicles would correct the problems.' U' P! T; Y+ S1 e( o  C
But when pressed by Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman4 x5 G& A: i: y! F4 V
Henry Waxman, D-Calif., on whether the two recalls Toyota put$ w: t% n% u2 [$ u6 q/ t
in place to deal with the issue would completely solve it,' F! |, q5 v* U& a" L* C1 G0 P
Lentz replied: "Not totally."
- w! r8 y- O4 }. @  j+ w  j9 XStill, he said chances of unintended accelerations were
, O; W8 J' ]1 h2 `8 `0 O' ^' Y+ F"very, very slim" once the recall was complete. Lentz also said) u6 h8 O1 f+ I7 f1 S; N4 y- r
Toyota was putting in new brakes that can override the gas
7 j) J( r9 R& I3 ?: K. B4 Qpedal on almost all of its new vehicles and a majority of its" b  {* {- v0 q+ P5 {  C( t3 E
vehicles already on the road.) I8 g" V# ]# `$ e/ q7 ~* W) [
Meanwhile, Toyota president Akio Toyoda, who will testify. f( n4 t' O8 v
before a separate panel on Wednesday, said he took "full2 R  e5 e+ P: j, I' c$ P
responsibility" for the uncertainty felt by Toyota owners and8 m. ?* W% Y, [
offered his condolences to a San Diego, Calif., family who were
3 Q3 V3 n9 ]! t0 ?6 N+ n9 Bkilled in late August, reigniting interest in the problems.
" Q( E' b. j6 f# `6 Q+ K"I will do everything in my power to ensure that such a
# @+ `+ U$ v7 j6 H9 Rtragedy never happens again," Toyoda said in prepared testimony
) |& ^- S: q% O9 B/ mfor Wednesday's hearing to the House Government Oversight
+ Q+ ?6 W( `4 x" O, p4 h0 j9 OCommittee. "My name is on every car. You have my personal% z, s& A4 M/ \9 Z, d' I; L2 m! P
commitment that Toyota will work vigorously and unceasingly to
) _; v/ N: t& hrestore the trust of our customers."
8 j$ U3 }* {% `  eLawmakers heard a brief, but riveting, deion from
8 p" T8 U  E) d' }Smith, the Tennessee woman whose Toyota-made Lexus suddenly: Z$ Z7 p# I/ [: C9 e6 a# m" i3 v
zoomed to 100 miles per hour as she tried to get it to stop --
$ \1 \4 f4 `& |; mshifting to neutral, trying to throw the car into reverse and
4 w( y4 S7 C4 m" {' W7 Lhitting the emergency brake. Finally, her car slowed enough
& O6 I0 E+ V% s# a  _that she was able to pull it off the road onto the median and
' u0 S- X! r& ~- g; Q! Kturn off the engine." P' M. l+ ?% J& B- D* O
Fighting back tears, she described her nightmare ride of0 Y' ~! r6 c; q+ |1 M, D4 s
October 2006, calling it "a near death experience."/ _' N1 V: ^+ U6 g- @
"After six miles, God intervened" and slowed the car, she
  Z& j; ?7 H6 r; e7 h% s5 I) tsaid. She added that it took a long time for Toyota to respond  Q: s+ C: c! h; ~' u
to her complaints.) j- ~6 g# m" ?
In an often contentious full day of testimony, lawmakers
0 S. S  s% x3 D' S5 T( X" P+ Q3 jreturned again and again to the question of whether electronic  T0 `& |- T* ~6 \% n. ?
malfunctions may have contributed to the speeding cars.' Z6 O& d# S: m+ `" H
"We are confident that no problems exist with the electric4 j. ^" W. h8 H5 s0 ?7 n% n6 k
throttle control system in our vehicles," Lentz said. He cited! Q$ Z! a% _  I* r) L
"fail-safe mechanisms" in the cars that were designed to shut( a4 a8 G) S* t  H/ u1 ?6 G
off or reduce engine power "in the event of a system failure."
/ i# }$ R6 P. I: ^Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood told the panel in
0 w; M/ I# [0 `: ?' |prepared testimony that possible electronics problems were
) a: q4 P3 G8 g) D. ^, D5 _being looked into by his agency. He said the company's recalls$ q# D9 ]# K$ z4 L: F% G
were important steps but "we don't maintain that they answer/ y) S/ h* c, S/ [4 G! \- p1 V3 M
every question."
  I4 w. _; r' l( VToyota hired a consulting firm to analyze whether
3 v5 b+ U8 q9 L6 U2 Q1 W8 S  Relectronic problems could cause unintended acceleration. The
$ c2 }# A* E1 f8 z; G+ `7 Efirm, Exponent Inc., found no link between the two. But
. m5 ]  l& @7 D0 J3 u, g2 x6 fcommittee investigators said the testing studied only a small9 u8 b/ M. d% K: y# [* D! c, u
number of vehicles1 L+ }; X/ P$ r$ e2 u
Tracking down an electrical problem can be far more
# V8 }8 B' O% P$ h( Cdifficult, expensive and time-consuming than finding a
1 G# T( @, T% K: c/ m4 p  Omechanical problem. Electrical problems can have more than one' F% E& T6 \+ D1 p) k
source, and they can come from inside or outside the car.
8 |8 ~' K) M3 ]# @$ q* S3 v% KMechanical problems often leave clues such as physical damage,
/ K) E5 n( x8 k7 O8 ^where electronic troubles can be hidden in software or leave no: Q: g8 r+ T/ A* k! [
trace at all.1 v: e3 E" R% F4 J- L/ S6 {
House investigators who reviewed Toyota's customer call
+ A2 U7 q! E8 I$ M6 B* ndatabase found that 70 percent of the complaints of sudden5 m/ i% W) F: ?9 M* N; \
acceleration were for vehicles that are not subject to the
5 ^$ `# m9 G7 f2 T+ `" [& lrecalls over floor mats or sticky pedals.5 `2 k& F; y: M& J$ |- o
Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the subcommittee,
5 [5 l/ K9 z) k9 f- D6 ?said Toyota "misled the American public by saying that they and
( O  S" t/ h' B! q6 e$ xother independent sources had thoroughly analyzed the1 `/ M/ x2 v  d  h& B+ V! `$ _  S8 x
electronics systems and eliminated electronics as a possible
  F. O7 X/ P% \! N+ f( Jcause of sudden unintended acceleration when, in fact, the only
4 D6 p# z* o0 ]% q8 @such review was a flawed study conducted by a company retained5 x' |3 Z) R7 o4 K3 @/ `
by Toyota's lawyers."$ F* Y! S4 M/ u+ ?4 W5 `9 q5 W
Lentz apologized anew for the company's slow handling of
' R# L" W8 \) Aproblems. "We have not lived up to the high standards our& r' x* i( L& y6 J# ]0 U2 m4 }. ^+ V
customers and the public have come to expect from Toyota," he
& p6 d- K3 n! Q5 X# osaid.
. b  \* z8 q; G9 v"Put simply, it has taken us too long to come to grips with6 W; F" o$ {' v+ P# A7 }
a rare but serious set of safety issues, despite all of our
- m4 _; ]! |1 y, ^; n% t1 t" Cgood faith efforts," said Lentz, president and chief operating
! X2 ~) D7 T2 V$ Rofficer of Toyota Motor Sales USA. Inc.
: A' _% C- s+ a0 U3 @9 o  X/ V7 cSeparately, among hundreds of Toyota dealers lobbying
3 `& {1 \/ I4 h( v& \members of Congress Tuesday, there seemed to be widespread0 c0 V( H- _: p& M; g
rancor toward a federal government they view as picking on the
& k- [3 z$ ]( ?1 Y1 m' H% G) ?automaker, at least in part because of the government's% W0 I3 d- S* H  `6 `, y/ a! p
investment of billions of dollars in General Motors and1 d6 O+ l; Y5 W& H9 D6 [9 v" e
Chrysler.& R6 O8 {% f* u5 x
"That's hard for me as a citizen to understand why my tax
* t" {$ `. n. S- edollars are going in that direction," Paul Atkinson, a$ t9 L$ B. S. I: O3 [
Houston-area Toyota dealer, said at a news conference that also) j2 G3 h! L+ s
served as a pep rally for the visiting dealers. "To compete  c1 {- ^+ T7 B* T) W9 Y  w
with the government as an individual entrepreneur is pretty% u1 ~+ V7 ~1 |0 Z/ ]
tough.") ]! q, p$ D  D, e( P
---
1 z& P6 A7 P  [, kAssociated Press writers Alan Fram, Stephen Manning and Tom/ W" G2 C" Y( p1 S, I
Raum in Washington and Tom Krisher in Detroit contributed to: U& \6 s, q1 M+ a6 K
this story.
3 {+ A0 \! b' G; a
9 l8 d$ B, ^, V7 a9 |-0- Feb/23/2010 21:04 GMT
鲜花(7) 鸡蛋(1)
发表于 2010-2-27 22:40 | 显示全部楼层
本来踏板就不是什问题的关键,recall也只不过是对大众的心理治疗罢了
您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

联系我们|小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|埃德蒙顿中文网

GMT-7, 2024-10-2 21:34 , Processed in 0.080270 second(s), 12 queries , Gzip On, APC On.